I found this fun knit fabric at my local Joann's. I love it, but it's so busy! I used a few scraps of a dark blue performance knit for the shoulders and arm and neck bands to kind of tone it down. It's still really hot here in Central Washington (can someone remind the weather that it's fall already??), so I left off the sleeves and added the bands - thanks to that, I was able to get a 2X shirt from slightly less than one yard of fabric! I love a good basic pattern that fits me well and that doesn't use a ton of fabric.
I love the curved hem and the slightly loose fit. I always have issues finding shirts that fit me well - I think this one is flattering while still being comfortable enough to chase my little boys in. I know I'll be making more!
On to the shoulder colorblocking! I lined up the center of the front with a straight line on my cutting mat. I measured about 5.5" down from the tip of the shoulder and drew a straight line.
For the back, I aligned the shoulder to a straight line and drew a line 2" down and cut both pieces along these lines.
For this pattern the seam allowance is 1/4", so I overlapped the edges by 1/2" and taped them together. I have a bad habit of forgetting to add seam allowance when I colorblock, so I always make a note on the pattern to add it! I also marked the neckline so I didn't get the edges confused.
And then all I had to do was finish the pattern as usual. The shoulder adds just a touch of detail to a basic pattern - I plan on making one with a little bit of lace at the shoulders!
We'd love to see your Union St Tees or what you make using the colorblocked tutorial here. Tag us on instagram, facebook, or twitter @UpCraftClub. #unionsttee