Written by Maria of My Cozy Co.
Hello!! Today I'm sharing with you my thoughts about The Hanami Top & Dress pattern. This is a pattern designed by Straight Grain designs, comes in a wide range of sizes, from 1 Y to 10 Y. It can be made as a top or a dress, also has two different types of flutter sleeves and two options for closure in the back.
- Pattern: The Hanami Top & Dress Option: Dress, Tulip sleeve, Invisible zipper.
- Size: I made a size 5. (This pattern offers a table with final measurements which I found very useful in order to find the best fitting size.)
- Fabric: Cotton Poplin.
- Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?: Yes
- Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. The pattern comes in a PDF document, contains the pattern pieces as well as the step-by-step sewing instructions. It is presented in a very professional way, contains very useful information that helps during the sewing process.
- What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the design in general, I think it is very feminine. The tulip sleeves are so pretty!
- Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't make any alteration to the pattern pieces. It is a bit long at the moment, but I wanted it that way. The only thing I made different to the options given in the pattern/tutorial, was adding piping in the neckline and in the border of the sleeves.
- Would you sew it again?: Yes, definitely! I would love to make a top and play with other type of the sleeves offered with the pattern.
- Would you recommend it to others? Yes, it is a very nice project to make. Every little girl would love to have a dress/top like this one. I honestly think this is a very feminine design, I like the possibilities that can be mixed to produce a different top or dress every time you make this pattern. It is also suitable to add layers when the weather turns a bit chilly.