Did you know that the paper sewing pattern has been around for almost 150 years?? We've all seen them or used them. (And some of us may or may not have hoards of them in our basements. hehe) The pattern pieces themselves are printed on thin tissue paper with included instructions and illustrations covering one out of every 4 or 5 steps.
While the paper sewing pattern has served the sewing community well...digital patterns now offer an alternative. Here are five reasons why a sewist might choose to use a digital pattern instead of a paper pattern:
1. More Instruction: Digital patterns are often full of beautiful color images or illustrations of every step. Because they're not limited by printable space, the step-by-step process can take as many pages as needed to describe the sewing process to even the most beginning sewist. As a bonus, digital patterns can link to online videos to show the sewing process even better.
2. Access to Designers: The vast majority of digital patterns are created by indie designers. Often these are bloggers who are extremely accessible and love to help answer questions when you sew their pattern. They also love to see what you sew and sometimes even share it on their social media.
3. Use Your Favorite Device: Like to sew with your iPad by your side? Digital patterns are your only option. What about using your phone or computer? The digital nature of pdf patterns allows them to be seen on any device and give you flexibility when you sew. Paper patterns can't offer that.
4. Just the Pieces You Need: When you purchase a paper pattern you usually get a range of sizes and all of the extra pattern pieces you could need. This means there are a lot of unnecessary sizes and pattern pieces printed that you won't use. Many of the modern digital sewing patterns today allow you to print using a 'layers function.' This means you can print just the size(s) and pattern pieces you actually want to use. Less waste.
5. There When You Want Them: Have you ever wanted to sew something last minute? Or you're up late at night and the urge strikes you to sew? If your local fabric store is closed you're out of luck and can't get the paper pattern you need. But with digital designs you can download them at any time of the day or night. No heading out to the store hoping the pattern you need is in stock or waiting days for the mail to come after ordering online.
These are just a few of the reasons why we love digital patterns and now it's your turn. We'd love to hear why you love digital patterns too! Leave a comment here or tag us on Instagram, facebook, or twitter.