$ 7.50 $ 5.63
Brand Frocks & Frolics
Learn how to make the Maisy shorts with these detailed video and photo tutorials. You can make the simple version without pockets and hem trims for a quick sew or you really go to town and add turn ups, bows, belt and loops and of cause the gorgeous side pockets. If you are really adventures you can even pipe the pockets. These little touches will make the shorts really stand out and you have a few more awesome techniques under your belt.
The smaller sizes have that extra room to accommodate a nappy, on the higher sizes they don’t. These shorts do not fit like pyjama bottoms. They have enough ease for comfort but not so much they just hang. One of the advantages of having one PDF file per size is you can really make appropriate changes to the pattern without having a multitude of very confusing lines. The fit is perfect and once you have made one you will be running them up all the time. Best of all it only takes just over half a yard of fabric to make one of these.
Now then, the super experienced sewists can even put in a welt pocket. How to sew a welt pocket you can learn in the ‘Sewing Workshop’ where I show you a variety of options. If you scroll down you will find the cheats version. Have a look and see if that is something you may want to try.
Whether you are an expert or just starting out the video tutorial will make it very clear what you have to do. If you are unsure if you can handle this pattern then simply watch the video to reassure yourself before you purchase the pattern.
The pattern is available for immediate download so you can get started straight away.
You’ll receive an email immediately after purchase with a link to download PDF files of the pattern and instructions, which you can print at home on either A4 or US Letter paper. When choosing the pattern make sure you tick which format you need. In the US and Canada choose US letter size which is wider and shorter than A4 paper. Everywhere else opt for A4 paper format.
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
Sizes: Girls Age 2-12
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS: Light to medium / heavier weight fabrics, plain weave cotton or stretch for more comfort, cotton sateen, cord, chambray or denim
- Fabric: 35 cm - 60 cm depending on the size (I would also use 20 cm of contrast fabric)
- Matching thread
- Iron on interfacing (lightweight) to reinforce the front: 10 cm
- 4 cm wide elastic for the waistband
- Eyelets (optional)
- Sewing machine and basic tools
- Introduction to the Pattern
- How to sew the Maisy shorts (detailed instructions)
- How to insert Eyelets
- How to sew the Maisy shorts (quick run through, belt loops, distinct pattern)
- Maisy Shorts (quick run through concentrating on hem trim, bow and belt & belt loops, back pocket with elastic)
- How to insert a welt pocket
- How to insert the perfect bound Western Pockets