Brand Sew Fearless
Inspired by motorcycle jackets, the Pavia Backpack features diagonal topstitched seams and exposed zipper pockets. It has two handle straps that can be worn as backpack straps, on the shoulder, or across the body as a messenger bag. Inside, the Pavia Backpack has both a slip-in cellphone pocket, and a inset zippered pocket to keep your essentials safe.
The Pavia Backpack is a convertible backpack/shoulder bag pattern. It features two exposed zipper pockets on the outside, a top zipper closure, and two interior pockets. For further customization, the Pavia Backpack pattern comes in three sizes corresponding to the length of the top zipper. The 18 inch bag is large and roomy – good for a diaper bag or for carrying your craft projects. The 16 inch bag is for those who prefer a smaller, but still roomy bag. The 14 inch bag is a “mini” or “tween” size backpack.
The approximate finished bag sizes are as follows:
- 18 inch size: 15 inches high by 14 inches wide by 5 inches deep
(38 cm high by 35 1/2 cm wide by 12 3/4 cm deep)
- 16 inch size: 13 1/4 inches high by 12 1/2 inches wide by 4 1/2 inches deep
(33 1/2 cm high by 31 3/4 cm wide by 11 1/2 cm deep)
- 14 inch size: 11 1/2 inches high by 11 inches wide by 4 inches deep
(29 1/4 cm high by 28 cm wide by 10 cm deep)
The Pavia Backpack pattern is a digital PDF pattern. The 1.1 MB .zip file includes 2 .pdf files. The first PDF includes 16 pages of computer drawn illustrations and instructions, and 26 pages of full size pattern pieces for printing the pattern on your home printer. The second file is a “copy shop” file. It is a 2 page PDF sized for A0 paper (33.1 in by 46.8 in). The file is available for download immediately after payment is processed.
This bag was written for an intermediate sewist. It assumes basic knowledge of applying and choosing interfacing, sewing straight seams, topstitching, and working with heavy fabrics. Instructions include zipper installation, sewing inset pockets, and installing a bag bottom.
FABRIC REQUIREMENTS & NOTIONS
Outer bag fabric: 1 3/4 yards [1.6 meters] of 45 inch wide
[Optional: another 1 yard of 45 inch wide for contrast center panel]
home decor fabrics, non-stretch bottomweight wovens like denim or corduroy, canvas
- Lining fabric: 1 yard [1 meter] of 45 inch wide quilting cotton, or other medium weight fabric
Woven fusible interfacing: e.g. Pellon® SF-101
- 3 1/4 yards [3 meters] of 20 inch for “18 inch” sized bag
- 3 yards [2 3/4 meters] for “16 inch” sized bag
- 2 3/4 yards [2 1/2 meters] for “14 inch” sized bag
Stabilizer: 1/2 yard [46 cm] of 20 inch wide
e.g. Pellon® Peltex® 70
- 1 non-separating heavy-duty or purse zipper (18 inch, 16 inch, or 14 inch) for bag top
- 2 non-separating metal tooth zippers for outer pockets, 7 inches long
- 1 non-separating nylon tooth zipper for inner pocket, 7 inches long
- 4 D-rings, 1 1/2 inches [38 mm] inner diameter
- 2 slide adjusters, 1 inch [26 mm] inner width
- coordinating thread
- sewable double-sided adhesive tape (e.g. Wonder Tape™)
The Pavia Backpack pattern is written for the intermediate sewist. As with all Sew Fearless patterns, the Pavia Backpack is designed to grow your sewing skill set. The directions include two lessons – 1) how to install welt zipper pockets on a seam, and 2) how add the structural support of a bag bottom.