Mommy Poppins Bag
Brand Sew Fearless
The Mommy Poppins Bag is a roomy “carpet-bag” style shoulder bag (finished size 10” high, 13 1/4¼” wide, and 7” thick). It features an internal bag frame closure, two exterior pockets (one with flap closure), four elasticized internal pockets, a pair of shoulder straps, and a cross-body strap.
Whatever you need to take with you, whether it is diapers and wipes, water bottles or cameras, the Mommy Poppins Bag can take the load.
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill bag tutorial. The PDF file contains 14 pages of step-by-step instructions in a unique “comic book” layout, full-scale printable pattern pieces for all non-rectangular pieces, and a recommended cutting layout. This pattern will take your bag-making skills to the next level when you learn how to give structure and strength to your handmade bags with various interlinings, how to create a firm bag bottom, and discover a simple way to make crisp sturdy bag handles.
The standard Mommy Poppins Bag pattern calls for a 14 inch internal purse frame, but instructions for adapting to other size frames are included in the appendix. This is flexibility not found in any other carpet-bag patterns available today.
In addition to the pattern, you will need the following for this project:
- main fabric, 1 1/2 yards of 45″ wide fabric
- accent fabric, 1 yard of 45″ wide fabric
- lining fabric, 1 1/2 yards of 45″ wide fabric
- woven fusible interfacing (SF-101), 2 1/2 yards of 20″ wide
- heavy duty sew-in stabilizer (Peltex 70), 1 1/4 yards of 20″ wide
- 1/2″ elastic, 28 1/2 inches
- ultra firm plastic canvas (bag grid bottom), one 10″x13″ sheet
- 14″ Internal tubular bag frame
- six 1 1/4″ D-rings
- two 1 1/4″ swivel snap clips
- one set of magnetic purse snaps
- four double cap rivets + riveting tools (optional)
- needles: Size 10/70 (for interior) and size 14/90 jean or topstitching needle (for exterior)
- thread, glue stick, sewing machine, pins and/or clips, scissors, rotary cutter, straight edge, etc..
- screwdriver for installing frame